January 5, 2011

Dupe Miracle!

So now that my lipstick depotting project is complete, it led me to some very exciting news (and added gratification for going through the rewarding yet painstaking process). Let me start at the beginning.

The first Sephora I had ever gone to was the original, in Times Square, NYC. I was about 14 at the time, so I am not sure if there even were other locations around then. Anyway, I was sooo excited by it that I wanted to spend whatever money I had there to commemorate our "first date." One of the purchases I made that day was a Sephora brand glossy lipstick, in what I am assuming was the original line/packaging. I used it happily over the next few years, until one day it was at the bottom of the tube (but before the "underground" part started). I pranced on to Sephora, only to discover that not only was the lipstick no longer available, but the entire line had changed. As Sephoras became more prevalent, I shopped there often, but must admit I did not browse their own brand too often.

I hopped around from brand to brand looking for a dupe, but to no avail. Ever since that day, which was probably a good six years ago now, I have held on to the little stub of beautiful peachy-pinky-nude glossy lipstick I have left, fearing to ever use it up or not have it to compare against dupes. In that time, I also managed to buy almost any lipstick I though would resemble my beloved shade, often not being even close (I didn't carry the precious thing with me everywhere I went).

To make matters worse, Googling didn't help, as the color number is so worn off from being about 10+ years old now.

The bad news is that I will never truly know what exact shade/lipstick I fell in love with and hold on to to this day.

The good news is that Project Lipstick Depotting led me to discover that I actually DO own a PERFECT dupe for the amazing old Sephora lipstick, shade unknown!


Okay, first things first. Here are some pics of what's left of the color, even though the pictures don't do it justice at all.




It is soo beautiful in person...a super glossy-looking but not at all sticky, moisturizing, weightless, sun-kissed nude with a hint of peachy pink running through it! Simply stunning!







Here is a collage of all the current lipsticks I own that were purchased (somewhat) to satisfy my urge to replace my beloved Sephora "?" shade:







SWATCHES (with flash):





SWATCHES (no flash):





SWATCHES (no flash, in light to show sheen/duochrome):







While some are almost similar, none of them really made me feel like I "had" it. Then I got to thinking...what about mixing some shades together? I started to play around with different combinations...




LAYERING ATTEMPT #1 (flash):






(no flash):






While these two appear to be extremely similar in this photograph, in real life the dupe attempt had much more of a bronzey-golden sheen to it than the Sephora color. But I knew I was on the right track. Next I paired two different colors in the same color family






LAYERING ATTEMPT #2 (no flash):







I liked this, but there was really nothing to cheer about in person. The matte Revlon "Soft Nude" base wasn't warm enough to match the base of the Sephora color, and looked like a drab, boring twin in comparison. I needed more sparkle, more shine, and more warmth. So then I had the idea to merge parts of each combination together for the third try.






LAYERING ATTEMPT #3:




I was beyond ecstatic to find that this new combination created not only the exact color dupe for my old trusty Sephora lipstick, but also in texture and opacity as well! After all these years and thanks to my ever-growing makeup collection, I was able to replicate one of my deceased true lip loves. Victory is mine after all! SCORE!

And while we are still on the topic of dupes, Project Lipsticking Depotting made me realize that I owned two dupes that I wasn't even aware of previously...







Rimmel "Summer Angel" looks a tad bit darker in this photo, but I assure you that in person, these two are EXACTLY the same. While Rimmel isn't exactly a pricey brand, Wet n Wild is still definitely cheaper and more accessible for most people here in the U.S. This shade is so gorgeous, and I highly recommend trying it out, especially for the $2 it'll run you from Wet n Wild.



Do you have any miraculous beloved discontinued product dupe stories?


0 comments: